The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) continues its support of alternative-fuel vehicles with $24 million being made available under the Texas Natural Gas Vehicle Grant Program (TNGVGP) to entice owners and operators of heavy-duty or medium-duty motor vehicles to change their vehicles or engines to natural gas power. To apply for a grant under the TNGVGP, applicants must go through a Participating Dealer under contract with the TCEQ.
Qualifying (New) Vehicles Eligible for Funding must be:
- a new natural gas vehicle (or new natural gas engine for repowers);
- same category, description, and within the same GVWR range as the old vehicle;
- powered by an engine that receives not less than 75% of its power from compressed or liquefied natural gas (vehicles capable of operating independently on either natural gas or another fuel will not be eligible under this program);
- powered by an engine certified by the US EPA to the applicable federal emissions standard; and
- powered by an engine certified to a NOX emissions rate at least 25% lower than the engine of the vehicle being replaced or repowered.
The TNGVGP provides grants to encourage an entity that owns and operates a heavy-duty or medium-duty motor vehicle to repower the vehicle with a natural gas engine or replace the vehicle with a natural gas vehicle. Grant applicants must go through a Participating Dealer under contract with the TCEQ to apply.
The TNGVGP is currently accepting grant applications. Applications will be accepted until May 31, 2015, at 5:00 p.m., or until all funding is awarded, whichever occurs earlier. Information is available on the TCEQ website.
Early December last year, TCEQ made $7.6 million available for grants to continue the development of a network of alternative fuel and/or natural gas fueling stations. The Clean Transportation Triangle (CTT) and Alternative Fueling Facilities Program (AFFP) programs are currently accepting grant applications for the creation of alternative fuel and natural gas fueling stations in eligible Texas counties. All required application forms must be submitted by February 18, 2014, 5:00 p.m., CST. Please visit the CTT/AFFP Web page to learn more.