During the 94th European Motor Show in Brussels – ‘Brussels Motor Show’ (14-24 January), the Royal Association of Belgian Gas Companies (KVBG/ARGB) will offer a premium of up to EUR 1,000 (USD 1,090) to private individuals and EUR 500 to companies buying a new natural gas vehicle. More than 1,000 passenger and commercial natural gas vehicles were ordered in 2014 and 2015 as part of a similar action, helping to position natural gas as a credible alternative to traditional fuels.
This is the third year in a row that the Association offers during the Brussels Motor Show an incentive to switch to CNG (Compressed Natural Gas). More than 2,600 natural gas vehicles now run on Belgian roads including over 2,000 in Flanders.
Natural gas vehicles have low carbon emissions and produce up to 70% fewer nitrogen oxides and virtually no particulate matter. Manufacturers are backing this initiative and are offering additional discounts to encourage people to purchase one of their natural gas vehicles.
ARGB lists the plethora of advantages for natural gas vehicles:
- 30% lower fuel price on average over the last four years compared to diesel and gasoline
- driving comfort and the same autonomy to other engines
- safe, proven technology
- models available in all segments of the mobile market (passenger cars, vans, trucks, public transport buses, coaches)
- supply via a network of underground gas pipelines or specialized vehicles
- modern filling stations
- reduced greenhouse gas emissions
- reduction up to 60 % of NOx emissions and near absence of fine particles.
Link to the application form (website in French)
There are currently 42 natural gas filling stations spread throughout Belgium, with over 40 additional stations scheduled to open in 2016.
(Source: Belgian Natural Gas Vehicle Association)