Agility Fuel Systems, designer and producer of alternative fuel storage and delivery systems for heavy duty trucks, buses and specialty vehicles, was named in Heavy Duty Trucking’s (HDT) 2014 Top 20 Products for their innovative Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) fuel system. The high-capacity system is specifically designed to be mounted behind the cab of class 7 and 8 tractors, which are used in over-the-road, long-haul applications.
According to HDT, “Each product was selected based on its level of innovation, whether it addresses significant industry issues or concerns, and its potential to improve a trucking operation’s bottom line.” Agility’s new system utilizes three cylinders of 26” in diameter and 80” in length and is able to carry 116 Diesel Gallon Equivalents (DGE) on board. Depending on the application, this system will be able to deliver a range of approximately 500 miles before refueling, and establishes it as the industry’s best DGE per inch of frame rail.
Our behind the cab system is ground-breaking because it is extremely compact, and it only requires 31 ¼-inches (79.375 cm) of valuable frame rail space. Most importantly, it maintains the vehicle’s aerodynamics with a width of only 87 ¼-inches (2.216 m) and does not protrude beyond the side of the cab.
This new system incorporates the following key features:
- Type 4 Cylinders – plastic lined and reinforced with carbon fiber, which are up to 70% lighter than steel tanks and not subject to corrosion.
- Integrated Fuel Management Module – both “fast” and timed fill receptacles are easily accessible in addition to an easy to read high-pressure gauge for accurate filling and fuel pressure delivery to the engine.
- Area Pressure Relief Valve (PRD) – provides improved safety and better packaging. This new technology captures a much larger heat area than current point pressure relief valves.
- Compact Package – fits directly behind the cab and completely above the framerail, thus, maintaining the truck’s aerodynamic shape.
- Ignition Disconnect Fuel Caps – Agility’s fuel caps are designed for safety above all else. If the fuel cap is not correctly replaced after fueling, the vehicle will not start, ensuring a safe fill.
Barry Engle, Agility’s CEO, stated: “We want to thank HDT for recognizing our revolutionary 116 DGE behind the cab fuel system which is a key enabler of long haul over the road trucking fueled by cheaper and cleaner CNG. This is the best package in the industry, and it provides the most fuel per square inch of rail space.”
(Source: Agility Fuel Systems)